Knob & Tube wiring in its original state is basically safe. The ESA consider this open wire system sufficient. However, the insulation for the wires of Knob &Tube is over 60 years old and is at the end of its usefulness. Today all fixtures and appliances require grounding for your safety. Knob & Tube has no bonding wire connected to the switches, lights and receptacles. As a result, we suggest Knob & Tube should be replaced or removed.
Reasons to Remove Knob & Tube Wiring:
- Fire hazard caused by uncontained sparks from arcing.
- Inadequate outlet power for today’s electrical devices and appliances.
- Knob and Tube wiring is not acceptable by almost all home insurance companies.
- Electric shock a potential hazard with ungrounded outlets.
- Unknown wiring modifications made to the Knob & Tube wiring over time.
- Knob & Tube wiring is no longer meeting the requirements of most home insurance companies.